Monday, July 22, 2019

Week 6- Mariela

We're on the final stretch!


This week, I essentially established how I was going to wrap up my experiments before I leave. It looks like I should be able to complete collecting and sorting samples but that I won't be able to see it through to RNA-seq. I'll still be sure to keep tabs on the project as it continues to progress. Despite the original lack of association with my usual research interests, I've grown an affinity to the project. I think I've really taken ownership of the project, taking it as my own. And I've learned quite a lot about prostate cancer!

While preparing the presentation this week, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was able to communicate my research project effectively despite learning most of the information so recently. I have a lab presentation coming up that I'm somewhat nervous about since my clinician mentor would be present. Recently, he has been wanting to get into research more, so I hope I'm able to ease in his transition back into the lab (and not disappoint him!).

Fun in NYC: I was able to go to a taping of the Late Night with Seth Meyers, and we got seats almost at the front! I was also able to ask him a question, which was more nerve-wracking than it should have. Also, underrated museum: the Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum. It so happens that they had an exhibit on the connections between nature and design. There were plenty of exhibits on biology, medicine, biotechnology, sustainability, biofuturism... very good for a bunch of BME PhDs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 7- Chase Webb

Since this post is coming after the conclusion of the immersion experience, I wanted to take the time to reflect on it as a whole. Overall, ...